5 Good Reasons to Get a PRP Facial
Nearly every cosmetic surgeon sings the praises of platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and its potential to rejuvenate not only our skin, but also our joints, tendons and even hair. Having been in use since the ‘70s, PRP treatments are anything but new; however, it wasn’t until the ‘90s that facial surgeons saw the treatment’s efficacy when it came to improving signs of aging such as wrinkling, discoloration, loose skin and enlarged pores. Sure, there are temporary fillers at one end of the cosmetic spectrum and surgical face lifts at the other, but a PRP facial might just be the sweet spot for many patients.
Here are 5 reasons why a PRP facial might be the best treatment for you:
1. PRP is completely natural, produced by your own body. Our blood cells already contain platelets that come to our rescue when we sustain any kind of injury in order to promote healing. Today, doctors are able to draw a small amount of blood from a patient and spin it in a centrifuge to separate out the platelets into a concentrated form. There are no foreign substances used in the treatment—just your good ol’ fashioned natural healing cells amped up a bit.
2. A PRP facial treatment is minimally invasive. Not ready to go under the knife? By comparison, a PRP facial involves the initial drawing of blood, followed by a process called microneedling. Microneedling involves using an instrument to create tiny, imperceptible punctures into the top layer of skin in order to create pathways for the PRP to enter. (At most, a patient may experience minimal discomfort during this process.) Then the patient’s PRP is applied to their skin to promote healing and the generation of new cells, producing firmer, younger-looking skin.
3. There’s very little downtime with a PRP facial. The procedure itself is quick—about 30-40 minutes. And while a sun-burn like redness can be expected, it typically only lasts 24-48 hours. Go in on a Friday, head back to work on Monday.
4. It just keeps getting better. While it takes a few weeks to first see the benefits of the PRP facial, the elasticity and smoothness of your skin will continue to improve over the course of a few months and the results are typically maintained for 18-24 months.
5. PRP facials work. No snake oil here. The FDA-approved treatment has been studied at length, and the positive results have been published in peer-reviewed medical journals such as the Journal of Drugs in Dermatology (2010), which cited a three-month long study of 23 patients who received the treatment. Before-and-after comparisons using medical imaging devices, a dermascope and a digital camera, led doctors to determine that the results were satisfactory and the treatment was effective.
If you’re interested in setting up a consultation to learn more about a PCP treatment or to discuss your skin’s needs, please call Savannah Plastic Surgery today!